A few weeks ago I made an impulse purchase at the grocery store – a family size pack of Auntie Anne’s pretzel mix. Its been sitting in the pantry ever since I came home and realized there’s not way the hubby, my boys and I could eat 10 whole pretzels on our own. Then I came across a recipe for stuffed pretzel bites on Pinterest and I knew the time had come to put that box of pretzel mix to use. I took the opportunity to do something different for the last weekend of winter break, so I made these along with some mini corn dogs and we had a “finger food dinner”. The kids loved it and there is so much little hands can help with in this recipe!
- 1 Family size box of Auntie Anne’s pretzel mix (or use a recipe like this).
- 1/2 lb sliced deli ham
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack but your favorite will do)
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- Follow directions on pretzel package or recipe to prepare pretzel dough.
- Once dough is finished rising turn it on to a floured surface and split into four sections.
- Take one section and roll it out into a rectangle about 12″ by 5″, with the long side facing you.
- Layer the bottom 1/3 of the rectangle with sliced ham and shredded cheese, then roll tightly starting at the end with the ham and cheese.
- Slice into 12 pieces, then do the same with the next three sections.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil 4 cups of water, remove from heat and add the baking soda (let the kids do this, they’ll love the “fizzing” reaction! Just be careful they don’t touch the pan or splash the hot water on themselves.) Dissolve.
- Using a slotted spoon dip the pretzel bites into the water, then place on a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Place pretzel bites on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Place in the oven and bake 5 minutes, then turn the pan 180 degrees and bake 2-5 minutes more, until pretzels are golden brown.
- Remove pretzels from the oven and melt the butter, then brush over the pretzels while they are still hot.
- Serve with mustard for dipping and enjoy!
Pretzel bites and mini corn dogs